Search This Blog

Sunday 25 August 2013

Thank You PAPA!!!

Laxman, a daily wage laborer whose livelihood mainly depends on the tiny amount he gets from loading and unloading stuffs of my building material shop run by my father and a fare that he gets from his manual three-wheeler. When asked, how much he manage to make in a month and how much he is able to save. To my surprise, he said he manages to earn around 6000 per month and has taken life insurance policies for himself and his wife and never defaulted for any of the premiums. Asking about what is he targeting next… He says- “I am saving for the marriage of his daughter who is just 10 and his son who is 12 and whom he wants to become a graduate someday so that his son had not to do what he is doing today”. I could sense a clear determination and dream in his eyes. I got emotional when I heard this. A man with 200 rupees of earning per day has a dream and he is trying to achieve his dream in his own limited way. I said to him, make your son graduate and I will make sure that he gets a job. He was delighted and there was a special spark in his eyes to hear this.

When I shared this to my dad, he said something very significant and I was left with moist eyes. He said – “Whatever he is trying to achieve today for his kids is something what I wanted some 20 years back with Rs. 1000 as my monthly earnings. I was doing the same thing what Laxman is doing today but I always wanted that my kids get the best education possible and I was determined to make this happen. I had to compromise on many of the basic necessities in my life but I made sure that you and your sister do well in studies. I always tried to give the best with the limited resources available to me and I do not have any regret after seeing you and Chanda with whatever you have achieved.” He made me first graduate in the family and first MBA in my village. My sister became the second graduate in commerce and would become a post graduate by December this year. A dream that started decades ago and got a shape as time progressed. I think I am blessed to have a father like him who always wanted me to do well so that I can make a difference. Today when people appreciate his effort I can sense the proudness he carries but at the same time I do not forget it has come with a lots of sacrifices my family had to make.

After looking back, I notice that no matter whatever heights I attain in my professional and personal life, it is this background which always holds me grounded and I feel really lucky to go through all these because life’s biggest lesson is hidden in this journey. The more I grow the more grounded I feel as time progresses. Also, this gives me so much of strength that if my father can have a dream of making me and my sister graduate with a tiny thousand rupees of earning per month, for me sky should be the limit. Just wish and hope that I will make it big one day and make my parents more proud for whatever he has done for me and my family.

With Love,
Nandlal

No comments: